Trump Says Iran Allowed 10 Oil Tankers Through Strait of Hormuz as ‘Present’ to Show Seriousness in Negotiations

News Trending

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that Iran permitted 10 oil tankers to transit the strategic Strait of Hormuz this week as a “present” and goodwill gesture, signaling Tehran’s commitment to ongoing negotiations aimed at ending the conflict with the United States.

Speaking during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, Trump elaborated on cryptic remarks he made earlier in the week about receiving a mysterious “gift” from Iran.

“They said, to show you the fact that we’re real and solid and we’re there, we’re going to let you have eight boats of oil, eight boats, eight big boats of oil,” Trump recounted. He said he initially paid little attention until news reports confirmed that eight tankers had passed “right up the middle of the Hormuz Strait.” Two additional tankers followed, bringing the total to 10. Trump noted that the vessels appeared to be Pakistani-flagged.

The president described the move as evidence that U.S. negotiators are “dealing with the right people” and that Iran is serious about diplomatic efforts to resolve the war, which has disrupted global oil shipments through the vital chokepoint.

The Strait of Hormuz, a narrow waterway between Iran and Oman, carries roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil supply under normal conditions. It has become a major flashpoint in the conflict, with previous Iranian threats to restrict or close the strait causing spikes in energy prices and global supply concerns.

Trump’s comments come amid U.S. efforts to secure safe passage for tankers and address broader issues, including Iran’s nuclear program. The administration has discussed options such as naval escorts while Iran has shown intermittent willingness to negotiate under economic pressure.

The gesture was portrayed by Trump as a positive sign in communications with Tehran, though specifics on the wider talks — including potential cease-fire terms or concessions — remain unclear. Reports indicate Iran had previously considered tolls or restrictions on vessels in the strait, making the free passage of these tankers particularly notable.

This development unfolds against a backdrop of heightened regional tensions, where disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz have rattled markets, raised oil prices, and sparked discussions about military measures to protect shipping. Trump has encouraged continued use of the route and suggested U.S. Navy protection if necessary, while noting that the U.S. has refrained from striking certain Iranian oil facilities to allow exports to continue.

No immediate official reaction from Iranian authorities was reported following Trump’s remarks. Video clips from the Cabinet meeting quickly circulated online, and the story has been widely covered by major news outlets including CNBC, Reuters, The Hill, and AFP.

Welcome to KjtsonBlog, your trusted source for Nigerian celebrity news, Naija entertainment updates, and trending news in Nigeria. Stay connected to the latest gist, events, and stories across Naija and worldwide.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *